Mary Jane and her brother, Mark Anthony are miniature dauschunds in Memphis Tn.
There are some people foods that can be very harmful to dogs. These include chocolate, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, tea, coffee, and sugar free candy.
The toxic ingredient in chocolate is theobromine, which is very similar to caffeine. Dogs that ingest as little as 50 milligrams of theobromine per pound of body weight may exhibit signs of toxicity.
Milk chocolate contains about 44 milligrams of theobromine per ounce (mg/oz). Semi-sweet chocolate contains about 150 mg/oz. The most toxic is baking chocolate which contains about 390 mg/oz.
- 34 ounces of pure milk chocolate is a toxic dose for a 30 lb. dog.
- 10 ounces of pure semi-sweet chocolate is a toxic dose for a 30 lb. dog.
- 4 ounces of pure baking chocolate is a toxic dose for a 30 lb. dog.
- Two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide is an appropriate dose to induce vomiting for a 35 lb. dog.
Do not feed your dog grapes or raisins. These have been linked to kidney failures.
Do not feed your dog sugar-free snacks that contain xylitol. According to the AVMA, even small amounts of this sweetener can cause a life threatening or fatal drop in blood sugar.
Do not feed your dog macadamia nuts, tea, or coffee. These can be harmful to your dog.
For more information about food choices, including the B.A.R.F. diet, organic foods, quality of dog food ingredients, and selecting a better food, please visit the Products Page and select Puppy Owner’s Manual, a complete guide to all you’ll need to know to start off right!
Alan J Turner
Companion Animal Behavior Counselor & Trainer, Canine Specialization
Private and Group Dog Training, Memphis TN